YouTube HQ shooting: Three injured, suspected shooter dead

San Bruno Police said the victims are being transported to area hospitals.

Richard Nieva Former senior reporter
Richard Nieva was a senior reporter for CNET News, focusing on Google and Yahoo. He previously worked for PandoDaily and Fortune Magazine, and his writing has appeared in The New York Times, on CNNMoney.com and on CJR.org.
Richard Nieva
2 min read

YouTube headquarters was evacuated after an active shooter situation Tuesday.


Three people were injured and a suspected shooter was found dead inside YouTube's headquarters, according to San Bruno Police, after an active emergency erupted in the Silicon Valley community.

Police said the suspected female shooter was found dead from what they believe to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. They later confirmed the woman was Nasim Najafi Aghdam, a 39-year-old female resident of San Diego. The victims were transported to area hospitals.

Watch this: YouTube HQ shooter identified

Law enforcement arrived on the Google subsidiary's campus shortly before 1 p.m. PT, according to San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini. News reports said the incident started at an outdoor cafe adjacent to YouTube. Barberini said the YouTube building was evacuated. He didn't provide a suspected motive.

A witness inside a nearby Walmart eCommerce Corporate headquarters told CNET his building had been locked down. Employees had been instructed to stay away from windows, said Bryce Botorowicz, who works at Walmart. What appeared to be SWAT team members entered the YouTube building with guns drawn and quarantined the area. 

"Dozens of cop cars, ambulance fire trucks and swat trucks. 20-30 or so total," he said in a text.

A Walmart spokesperson wasn't immediately available for comment.

Brent Andrew, chief communications officer for Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, confirmed that people had been transported to the hospital from YouTube headquarters, but didn't have an exact amount. "We don't have any numbers yet, but we're expecting more," he said.

At the scene, three helicopters overhead and a heavy police presence surrounded the area. Interstate 280, a nearby freeway, was shut down.

Before the building was evacuated, multiple YouTube employees tweeted about hearing gunshots. (The same YouTube staffer had his Twitter account hacked shortly after events began.)

A YouTube employee contacted by CNET said he couldn't talk and immediately hung up. Google, YouTube's parent company, said it's coordinating with authorities.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai addressed the shooting late Tuesday, calling it a "horrible act of violence." "I'm grateful to everyone inside and outside the company for the outpouring of support and best wishes," he wrote. "I am especially thankful to the first responders and our own security team who acted so quickly to keep people safe."  

Susan Wojcicki, YouTube's CEO, also tweeted about the shooting on Tuesday evening. "There are no words to describe how horrible it was to have an active shooter @YouTube today," she wrote. "Our hearts go out to all those injured & impacted today. We will come together to heal as a family."

First published April 3, 1:12 p.m. PT.

Update, 2:58 p.m.: Confirms incident is over, adds details of victims, provides eyewitness account.
Clarification, 3:43 p.m.: Changes the number of injured per new information.
Update, 8:23 p.m.: Adds identification of shooter.

Update, 11:06 p.m.: Adds police confirmation of suspect shooter.