Apple aims to be carbon neutral by 2030

The iPhone maker lays out a 10-year plan.

Carrie Mihalcik Former Managing Editor / News
Carrie was a managing editor at CNET focused on breaking and trending news. She'd been reporting and editing for more than a decade, including at the National Journal and Current TV.
Expertise Breaking News, Technology Credentials
  • Carrie has lived on both coasts and can definitively say that Chesapeake Bay blue crabs are the best.
Carrie Mihalcik
Angela Lang/CNET

Apple on Tuesday unveiled a plan to become carbon neutral across its entire business, including its supply chain and product life cycles, by 2030. 

"By 2030, Apple's entire business will be carbon neutral — from supply chain to the power you use in every device we make," Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted on Tuesday. "The planet we share can't wait, and we want to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change."

The iPhone maker laid out a 10-year plan focused on a handful of key areas, including low carbon product design, expanding energy efficiency, renewable energy, process and material innovations and carbon removal. Apple said it plans to reduce emissions by 75% by 2030, while using "developing innovative carbon removal solutions" to take care of the remaining 25% of its carbon footprint.

Apple said its corporate operations around the world are already carbon neutral, but the new commitment will mean "every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact" by 2030. 

Other tech giants are also taking steps to protect the environment and tackle the climate crisis. In January, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said the company will go beyond carbon neutral. Microsoft aims to become carbon negative by 2030 and seeks to undo the greenhouse gas emissions it's sent into the Earth's atmosphere over the lifetime of the company by 2050. In February, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos unveiled a $10 billion fund to fight climate change

Watch this: Apple wants to share its Daisy robot tech for recycling iPhones