Your Apple TV Plus free trial might end before Ted Lasso season 2. Here's what to do
The second season of Ted Lasso premieres July 23, but many free trials to Apple TV Plus are set to expire before then. Check your own account now.
Alison DeNisco RayomeManaging Editor
Managing Editor Alison DeNisco Rayome joined CNET in 2019, and is a member of the Home team. She is a co-lead of the CNET Tips and We Do the Math series, and manages the Home Tips series, testing out new hacks for cooking, cleaning and tinkering with all of the gadgets and appliances in your house. Alison was previously an editor at TechRepublic.
ExpertiseHome Tips, including cooking, cleaning and appliances hacksCredentials
National Silver Azbee Award for Impact/Investigative Journalism; National Gold Azbee Award for Online Single Topic Coverage by a Team; National Bronze Azbee Award for Web Feature Series
If you don't cancel your free trial, your account will automatically renew at the monthly rate of $5 (£5, AU$8). If you're planning to remain a subscriber for the long haul, you'll probably want to go in and change that to the yearly rate of $50 to save 10 bucks. (And starting July 1, if you buy a new Apple device, you'll only get three months of free Apple TV Plus service, instead of a full year.)
Luckily, there are a couple of easy ways to find out if you're on an Apple TV Plus free trial, and when it runs out, so you can plan ahead.
How to check your Apple TV free trial expiration date on an iPhone
If you have an iPhone, here's what to do:
1. Go to Settings, and tap on your name at the top.
2. Tap Subscriptions. Under Active, you'll see Apple TV Plus, along with the next billing date. That's when you're set to get charged.
3. Tap Apple TV Plus, and you'll see how much you're going to get charged on that date, with the option to pay $5 monthly or $50 for a year. You can also sign up for the Apple One bundle, which gets you Apple TV Plus along with services like Apple Music and Apple Arcade. You'll also see an option to cancel your free trial (note that you can't reactivate the trial).
How to check your Apple TV free trial expiration date on your Apple TV
If you want to check your free trial status on your Apple TV, here's how to do it:
1. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Users and accounts. Select your name (or the name of whoever manages the subscription).
2. Under Manage, tap Subscriptions. Enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
3. Under Active, you'll see Apple TV Plus, along with the next billing date. If you click Apple TV Plus, you'll see how much you're going to get charged on that date.