Want to change your YouTube channel name? Now you can, and it won't affect your Gmail
Yes, you can rename your YouTube channel, and it couldn't be easier.
Alison DeNisco RayomeManaging Editor
Managing Editor Alison DeNisco Rayome joined CNET in 2019, and is a member of the Home team. She is a co-lead of the CNET Tips and We Do the Math series, and manages the Home Tips series, testing out new hacks for cooking, cleaning and tinkering with all of the gadgets and appliances in your house. Alison was previously an editor at TechRepublic.
ExpertiseHome Tips, including cooking, cleaning and appliances hacksCredentials
National Silver Azbee Award for Impact/Investigative Journalism; National Gold Azbee Award for Online Single Topic Coverage by a Team; National Bronze Azbee Award for Web Feature Series
creators are finally getting a highly requested new feature. It's now easy to change your YouTube channel name and profile picture to better reflect your content -- without updating the name and photo associated with your
The change will help keep your YouTube name and content separate from your Google services, such as Gmail and Google Docs. That way if you need to send an email for school or work, your real name will appear, not your YouTube name.
Important note: If you're verified on YouTube and change your channel name, you'll lose your verification badge and need to reapply. But there will be no impact on your custom URL or Official Channel Music Note if you change your name.
Here's how to change your YouTube channel name and profile picture, without updating your Google account name, on either mobile or desktop.
How to change your YouTube channel name and profile picture on mobile
1. Open the YouTube app, and tap your profile picture.
2. Tap Your channel > Edit channel.
3. To change your name, enter your updated name and tap OK.
4. To change your profile picture, tap your picture, and select an existing photo or take a new one. Tap Save.
How to change your YouTube channel name and profile picture on desktop
1. Sign into YouTube Studio.
2. To change your name: From the left menu, select Customization > Basic Info. Click Edit to update your channel name and enter your new name. Click Publish.
3. To change your profile picture: From the left menu, select Customization > Branding. Click Upload and select an image. Adjust the size of your picture, and click Done. Click Publish.