Verizon announced on Thursday that it has begun pushing out a software update to HTC Droid Eris users.
Like the upgrade for the Motorola Droid, the over-the-air update (specifically, ROM version 1.16.605.1/Radio version 184.108.40.206.09) will be delivered to small group of customers first and then slowly rolled out to everyone within a week. Users will receive a notification on their smartphone alerting them when the update is ready for download.
Highlights of the update include:
- While on a call and the device is in screensaver mode, pressing the
End key now takes the device out of screensaver mode, and a second
press will end the call
- Device now switches effectively from 1x mode to 3G
- Device no longer requires users to reselect a default e-mail after
- SMS and MMS messaging delivery is improved
- Eighty-character MMS/SMS message subject lines are now allowed
You can view a full list of feature enhancement and bug fixes here (PDF) and for step-by-step instructions on downloading the update, please check Verizon's support page.