Jessica Dolcourt is a passionate content strategist and veteran leader of CNET coverage. As Senior Director of Content Operations, she leads a number of teams, including Thought Leadership, Speed Desk and How-To. Her CNET career began in 2006, testing desktop and mobile software for Download.com and CNET, including the first iPhone and Android apps and operating systems. She continued to review, report on and write a wide range of commentary and analysis on all things phones, with an emphasis on iPhone and Samsung. Jessica was one of the first people in the world to test, review and report on foldable phones and 5G wireless speeds.
Jessica led CNET's How-To section for tips and FAQs in 2019, guiding coverage of topics ranging from personal finance to phones and home. She holds an MA with Distinction from the University of Warwick (UK).
ExpertiseContent strategy, team leadership, audience engagement, iPhone, Samsung, Android, iOS, tips and FAQs.
Heeding an executive order signed by President Donald Trump last week, Google has cut Huawei off from a longtime business relationship that gives the Chinese brand, and other phone-makers, access to Android OS updates, Reuters first reported. The initial order would largely deprive Huawei of security updates as well as Google services such as Gmail, Google Assistant, the
store, Google Maps and Google Search. In addition, Google will withhold technical support for future phones. Intel, Qualcomm and Broadcom are also reportedly toeing the US party line, according to Bloomberg.
On Monday morning, the Chinese company expressed dismay about Google's decision.
"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world," a Huawei spokeswoman said in an emailed statement. "As one of Android's key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry."
It also sought to reassure customers. "Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally," said the company spokeswoman. "We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally."
Huawei's loss could be Samsung's gain if Android fans turn their backs on Huawei's future phones for not having the tools and apps people rely on every day.
Political interests that effectively take Huawei's smartphone business out of the game will damage the brand's ability to sell phones outside of China, giving Samsung a chance to prop up its position in Europe and the rest of the world.
Samsung could also benefit from a Huawei plan to delay its own foldable phone, the Mate X, whose screen bends around the outside. You can use it from either side while folded, and it opens into an 8-inch tablet. Google's Android software, including the next version, called Android Q, supports foldable phones by helping apps easily jump from a "folded" screen orientation to an "unfolded" one.
It isn't clear if Huawei uses Google's software to run the Mate X, or if it needs Google's support since the Mate X isn't being sold yet. However, if Huawei were to pause production while sorting out its Android troubles -- the Mate X is slated for summer -- Samsung could increase its lead in the innovative foldable space.
"We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications," Google said in a brief statement on Sunday evening. "For users of our services, Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices."
That means Huawei will be able to continue selling current phones and
with Android support, such as the
. Huawei's Honor brand -- which includes the Honor 20 Lite -- will be affected by the executive order.
Huawei isn't cut off from Android completely. It can continue to use a version of Android, called AOSP (Android Open Source Project) when Google releases that build publicly, but that will put Huawei months behind the competition. Google's partners get early access to Android builds so they can make the operating system work as smoothly as possible for buyers. Samsung remains an early-access partner.
Samsung's gains might be short-lived if the ban against Huawei proves temporary. Huawei has already been granted a partial reprieve to update existing phones, but the future of upcoming Android devices is unclear.
Precedent has shown that Trump is willing to reverse his position on Chinese companies if certain conditions are met. It's possible that the US government could walk back the blacklisting depending on the reactions of China's leaders.
We saw similar results with ZTE, another Chinese brand that the US banned for seven years for failing to punish employees for breaking a sanction prohibiting the sale of US equipment to Iran and North Korea. ZTE, which relied on equipment produced in the US, was effectively shut down until Trump tweeted an about-face to work with ZTE on lifting the ban.
If trade negotiations continue to unravel, Samsung has a chance to push forward in 2019 with its most effective Android rival weakened. But if Huawei phones are brought back into the fold with the US government's support -- and this would likely affect just the phone business -- then Samsung's chief rival would continue to challenge the South Korean titan for mobile dominance.
Samsung didn't respond to a request for comment.
CNET's Katie Collins contributed to this report.
Originally published May 20 at 4:05 a.m. PT. Updated 5:17 a.m. PT: Added Huawei's statement. Updated 2:55 p.m. PT: Added news of softened restrictions. Updated May 21 at 9:11 a.m. PT: Added more details.
Huawei P30 Pro's four rear cameras from every angle