Rdio, the subscription music service, just put out an update to its Android app, and it's a big one.
On top of offering support for Android Ice Cream Sandwich's new remote control client, the app is more streamlined and highlights Rdio's "rich" social features and extensive music discovery options. The free app is available for both smartphones and tablets in the Android Market.
According to Rdio, here's what's new:
- Streamlined top-level navigation: All-new home screen design gives one-click access to key features in the app.
- Convenient control: Take advantage of Android Ice Cream Sandwich's new remote control client to manage playback controls on the lock screen, including viewing controls and album art.
- New releases: Be the first to listen to new albums and singles on the day they are released, and access new albums released up to two weeks prior.
- Top charts: Check out recent chart-topping albums.
- Recommendations: Discover more music by exploring fresh album recommendations based on your listening history.
- Enhanced search: In addition to searching for artists, albums, and songs, you can now search for playlists and people.
- Synced collection and playlist views: View only the music you have synced for offline listening, without the need to go into offline mode.
- User profiles: Search, browse, and follow other Rdio users; discover new music by seeing their activity, who they follow, their playlists, and more.
- And features of the previous version including Activity, Collection, Heavy Rotation, Playlists, Listening History, Syncing for offline access, and a variety of settings to control syncing and streaming on Wi-Fi or 3G.
Reaction to the update has been mostly very positive, though a few folks are complaining that the updated app isn't working on their devices (that's one of the hazards of having so many different Android smartphone models out there).
Rdio, which competes with Spotify andoffers limited streaming for free on computers, but its premium plans range from $4.99 to $9.99 per user (see below).