Unlocking your iOS device, launching the Music app, then finding a song you want to listen to is a routine we all repeat. A free app called Music Center wants to help speed up the process by taking advantage of iOS 8's Today widget in the Notification Center.
With Music Center installed and the widget activated you'll have access to your entire music library from anywhere on your device, including from the lock screen.
Adding the widget to your device follows the same steps as we outlined here.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen, activating Notification Center.
- Make sure you're viewing the Today view (tap on the button or swipe right if need be).
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on the Edit button.
- Tap on the green plus sign next to the Music Center listing.
- Rearrange the list of widgets if desired.
- Select done when you're happy with the placement.
Now when you view your widgets, your music catalog will show up in alphabetical order. Tapping on a song will result in it immediately playing.
Launching the Music Center app itself gives you instructions on how to enable the widget, as well as how to change the scroll speed of the widget. (Scrolling is performed by long-pressing on the respective arrow at the top or bottom of the widget.) With an in-app purchase, Music Center will remember the scroll position instead of resetting itself to the top every time you access the Notification Center.