Valve's portable gaming device, the Steam Deck, came out just over a year ago. The company is celebrating the occasion with a big sale.
For the first time since its launch, the Steam Deck went on sale, getting a 10% discount on Thursday. This drops the price to $359 for the the 64GB version, $476 for the 256GB and $584 for the 512GB. The sale on the portable console will last until the end of the Steam Spring Sale on March 23.
Here's how the pricing lands for each model during this sale:
- 64GB eMMC model: $359 (save $40)
- 256GB NVMe SSD model: $476 (save $53)
- 512GB NVMe SSD model: $584 (save $65).
And you can also expand storage with a microSD card (sold separately).
Along with the discount, Valve added a new feature to the Steam Deck on Thursday. The latest update will let users create their own or use already-made startup movies for when the system boots up.
Valve first revealed its Steam Deck in July 2021. It set the stage for truly portable PC gaming, similar to what the Nintendo Switch did for console gaming. High demand for the Steam Deck, on top of a two-month delay, led to preorders being spaced out throughout 2022, with the first units shipped to customers on Feb. 28.
Since its initial release, Valve has said there will be a next generation of Steam Deck, though no timeline has been confirmed. Steam Deck owners discovered a wealth of uses for the device, from emulating old consoles to playing Xbox games via the cloud.
More on Steam Deck
- Steam Deck Review: This Handheld Gaming PC Surprised Me, in Ways Both Good and Bad
- Valve Steam Deck vs. Nintendo Switch OLED: Specs Compared
- Best Steam Deck Accessories in 2023
- The Steam Deck Really Needs a Kickstand, So I Made One
- Steam Deck Docking Stations: Valve vs. Jsaux
- Steam Deck Evolved: Valve's Portable Gaming PC, One Year Later