Frontier and Spirit to merge to create the fifth-largest US airline

The deal is valued at $6.6 billion.

Alexandra Garrett Associate Editor
Alexandra is an associate editor on CNET's Performance Optimization team. She graduated from Marymount Manhattan College in New York City, and interned with CNET's Tech and News teams while in school. Prior to joining CNET full time, Alexandra was a breaking news fellow at Newsweek, where she covered current events and politics.
Expertise Culture, How-To, Tech, Home, Wellness, Money, News
Alexandra Garrett
Frontier Airlines plane at Raleigh-Durham International Airport

A Frontier Airlines plane arrives at a gate at Raleigh-Durham International Airport in North Carolina. 

Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines, both known for their budget prices for flights, announced their merger Monday. Together the airlines hope to create a competitive low-fare airline. 

"This transaction is centered around creating an aggressive ultra-low fare competitor to serve our guests even better, expand career opportunities for our team members and increase competitive pressure, resulting in more consumer-friendly fares for the flying public," said Spirit CEO Ted Christie in a release. 

The new airline will offer 1,000 daily flights to more than 145 destinations in 19 countries, and have a fleet of over 350 aircrafts. Frontier will control 51.5% of the merged airline, while Spirit will control the remaining 48.5%. This merger would create the fifth largest airline in the US, following American, Delta, Southwest and United.  

The deal, which is valued at $6.6 billion, is expected to close in the second half of 2022 following approval from US antitrust regulators.