To regain the ability to use your Apple Remote, try some of these suggestions.
- Replace the battery in the remote and pair it with your Mac.
- If the option to Pair/Unpair does not exist (System Preferences > Security > General):
- Repair Permissions using Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).
- Reset PRAM: Hold (Command + Option + P + R) while restarting until you hear three tones.
- Remove the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file from (username > Library > Preferences).
- Toggle your Firewall settings (System Preferences > Security > Firewall).
- Replace the AppleIRController.kext file (System > Library > Extensions) with a copy of the file from a working system. After replacing the file, repair permissions using Disk Utility.
- Wait for the impending release of 10.6.2. The update is rumored to have over 150 updates, bug fixes, and feature additions.
- Reinstall Snow Leopard from the disc.