Sony's latest wireless Bluetooth headphone, MDR-XB950BT Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset, looks and sounds a little different than some of its earlier over-ear Blueooth headphones. Needless to say, as its name implies, this model puts an emphasis on the bass to deliver what Sony says is "a powerful audio experience."
The big question, of course, is how much detail gets sacrificed at the expense of delivering that extra bass (we'll let you know as soon as we're able to test the headphone in a proper listening environment).
The MDR-XB950BT will be available in mid-September for $199.99; UK pricing and availability wasn't available, but that translates to about £121. In Australia you'll pay AU$249.95 but the headphones won't be available until October.
Here are the spec highlights:
• Bluetooth audio streaming with AAC and apt-X support
• Electronic Bass Boost for exceptional bass performance
• Passive mode for corded operation without battery
• Comfortable around-the-ear design
• 40mm drivers for wide frequency response (3-28 kHz, with cord)
• Built-in microphone for hands-free calling
• Rechargeable battery for up to 20 hours of music
• Convenient one-touch connectivity (NFC)
• Sophisticated swivel design for portability
• USB charging cable and detachable audio cable included