PlayStation VR won't ship till this fall, but Plantronics is jumping on the VR bandwagon with a $70/AU$119 gaming headset, the Rig 4VR, that's designed to be used specifically with Sony's upcoming virtual reality accessory for the PS4. There's no word yet on UK pricing, but Plantronics Rig 500 gaming series headsets, which this headset is based on, cost around £60.
Like the Rig 500 series, the Rig 4VR is constructed with a light, flexible frame. Plantronics says it has a "unique oval earcup design" that's been ergonomically designed to offer a very comfortable fit when used with the PlayStation VR. It's also been tuned for PlayStation VR, Plantronics reps tell CNET.
The PlayStation VR ($400/AU$550) includes Sony earbuds, but a lot of people will want to use better headphones that deliver a more immersive audio experience -- or at least that's what Plantronics is hoping.
Here are the Rig4's key specs:
- Along with interchangeable cables for use with PlayStation VR and the PlayStation 4 wireless controllers, Rig 4VR features 40mm drivers paired with low-frequency resonators for enhanced bass while maintaining accuracy of sounds.
- The removable flip-to-mute boom with noise-canceling mic can be attached when using the headset with a PS4 controller, offering immersive stereo audio and exceptionally clear chat.
- Light, flexible frame, with a unique oval earcup design.
- Earcups allow in some ambient sound, helping players maintain natural balance during VR sessions. A vented design also makes it possible for in-room conversations during social VR gaming experiences and provides greater heat dissipation so players stay comfortable.
- Can be customized with any Rig 500 Series accessories, such as additional headband designs and finishes, interchangeable earcups and more.
- 3.5mm audio connector.
- Available this holiday season for $70/AU$119.