Plantronics has been putting out a steady stream of pretty affordable headphones that deliver good performance for the money, and the BackBeat Go 810 fits right in with them. Featuring noise-canceling in an over-ear design for $150, in many ways it's the "light" version of the company's BackBeat Pro 2, which lists for $200.
I got a chance to try an early review sample for a few days, and I think Plantronics has done of a lot of things right with the headphone. It feels pretty sturdy and folds flat into a thin cloth carrying pouch. At 8 ounces (227 grams), it's not as light as theat 6.4 ounces (181 grams), which leaves off the noise-canceling, but it's not heavy either.
The ear pads are equipped with memory foam and although they're not as soft and comfy as the ones that come with the Boseor new , the BackBeat Go 810 is a comfortable headphone -- just not exceptionally so.
The noise canceling may also not be quite as effective as Bose's or Sony's, but it does a decent job muffling sound. There are two modes of noise cancellation (high and low) and you can choose between a balanced and bright EQ setting in the BackBeat app. The default sound is clean and well balanced with good detail and plump bass that's not boomy. There's a little bit of presence boost in the treble that makes the headphones sound a little forward at times, but that seems to be par for the course these days for headphone sound profiles.
As you'd expect from a Plantronics headphone, these do work well as a headset for making calls.
While the BackBeat Go 810 lists for $150, I suspect it'll come down in price a bit online. It's a reasonable value at $150, but I think it would generate more interested at less than $125.
I'll post a full review after I spend a little more time with them. In the meantime, here are the BackBeat Go 810's key specs, per Plantronics:
- Slim, over-the-ear design with memory-foam comfort
- Weight: 8 ounces (227 grams)
- 40mm drivers
- Dual-mode ANC for high- and low- noise environments
- Up to 22 hours of wireless power with ANC, up to 28 hours without ANC, and up to 60 hours of ANC without audio streaming.
- HD Voice
- Bluetooth 5.0
- 2H2S multipoint connections
- Up to 6 months DeepSleep mode
- Fast charge feature gives you 3 hours of listening time from a 10-minute charge.
- Wireless firmware upgrades
- On-ear controls: Take calls, skip tracks, adjust volume, select EQ presets, turn ANC on and off and activate smartphone voice assistants
- Customize the sound of your music with balanced and bright EQ presets via the BackBeat app
- Lightweight carrying pouch
- Two colors: graphite and bone
- Price: $150 (no international pricing yet, but we'll add it as soon as we get it)