If you are able to get a tight seal using one of the included tips -- and the majority of people should -- this is a decent-sounding Bluetooth headphone. It lacks a little bit of clarity but I found the bass ample and it's pretty smooth-sounding. I have seen some critical comments about the bass, but I suspect that's because the users didn't really get a tight seal. With noise-isolating in-ear headphones like this one, you lose a lot of bass -- and sound quality -- if you don't get a secure fit.
Ultimately, I think this is a likable neckband-style headset that's geared to same audience which has been gobbling up LG's Tone headphones to use as headsets (I do like LG's retractable-earbud feature found on some of its Tone models).
But I think Jabra missed out on an opportunity to make the Halo Smart a little more versatile. Yes, it's water-resistant, which means you can run with it, but chances are the tips will fall out as you run and sweat. A wing-style tip would easily turn it into a sports headphone., , , and even include these types of tips with some of their in-ear models. Jabra also does -- but only with its Sport Coach and .
Some small changes and more included tips (particularly an XL tip) would bump this into excellent territory (it's close). While it doesn't do much to distinguish itself from a design standpoint, it seems sturdily built, performs very well as a headset and offers decent sound quality for music if you get that tight seal.
Here are the Halo Smart's highlights, according to Jabra.
- Jabra Halo Smart Silver Edition is available exclusively at Best Buy stores and online at www.bestbuy.com in late June with an MSRP of $80 (around AU$110 or £55, converted).
- Jabra Halo Smart is also available in black on their website.
- Fits the 79 percent of users who want one set of headphones for both calls and music, but find the call experience on most music devices inadequate.
- Built for calls, Jabra Halo Smart uses high-quality microphones with integrated wind-noise protection for enhanced in-call quality, and subtle vibration alert to ensure calls are never missed.
- Excellent sound quality thanks to 10mm speakers and Jabra's audio capabilities.
- Neckband wearing style for comfortable, all-day use and seamless switching between calls, music and media.
- Extended battery life provides up to 17 hours talk time and up to 15 hours of music listening.
- Dedicated Google Now or Siri button gives you access to voice controls.