Now Jabra enters the zero-wire fray with its Elite Sport, which it calls "the most technically advanced, true wireless sports earbuds available." It'll be available in the US ($250), UK (£230) and the EU (€250) at the end of October, with an Australian launch slated for later in the year (pricing not yet announced, but US price converts to approximately AU$330).
What makes the Elite Sport so elite? For starters, the 'buds are fully sweat- and waterproof. There's also an integrated heart-rate monitor that provides "ground-breaking in-ear fitness analysis" and, as you'd suspect from a Jabra headphone, they work well as a headset for making calls, with built-in noise reduction technology. According to Jabra, the earbuds analyze external sounds and automatically switch to the earbud with least background noise.
I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know how they sound or fit, but they certainly look intriguing.
With in-ear noise-isolating headphones such as these, it's crucial that you get a tight seal to get the best sound quality. And with "true" wireless earbuds, the ability to maintain a steady, hiccup-free connection will also make or break a product.
Like competing products, battery life isn't great -- they're rated at just three hours of music listening -- but it is easy to get extra juice by slipping them into their charging case, which has an integrated battery.
I'll put together an in-depth review as soon as I get these in my ears. In the meantime, here are the Sport Elite's key specs:
- Superior sound with up to three hours of music and calls (plus up to six hours additional charge from the portable charging case)
- Flexible wearing options with single or stereo earbud use
- Advanced heart rate analysis with automatic fitness level testing of VO2 Max, recovery advisor and race predictor
- Two integrated microphones in each earbud
- Background noise reduction
- Audio pass-through allows you to tune in to your surroundings at the touch of a button
- In-ear audio coaching with real-time feedback
- Integrated training management with Jabra Sport Life app
- Three-year warranty against sweat and waterproof to IP67 rating
- Tested to work for at least 30 minutes while submerged in up to 3 feet of water
- Supports all major smartphone operating systems, including Android and iOS
- Support for all leading third-party fitness apps
- $250 exclusively at Best Buy stores on October 30. Preorder on BestBuy.com will begin in early October. £230 in the UK.