When it comes to gaming, the best way to connect your rig is via a Gigabit connection, and today Netgear brought that to a next level with the Nighthawk S8000 8-port Gaming and Media Switch (model GS808E).
Netgear says this is a 8-port switch designed to connect Playstation, Xbox, Wii and other gaming consoles, as well as basically any device that needs a smooth, lag-free connection. Each of its Gigabit Ethernet ports can be configured differently, allowing for complete versatility to users. You can use a web interface to configure each port for a certain service, like media streaming, gaming or VoIP, and the switch will automatically prioritize the traffic for that particular service.
On top of that, the GS808E also supports link aggregation, meaning you can combine up to four ports into a single, super fast connection (up to 4Gbps) that works with supported NAS server or gaming rigs. This is great for those who want to host LAN parties where one server hosts multiple simultaneous gaming sections.
Netgear says the Nighthawk S8000 Gigabit Ethernet Switch seamlessly integrates with any Nighthawk router and includes the full set of NETGEAR Web Managed Switch software features. Its other attributes include:
- "Cool-touch" premium zinc alloy housing design, with soft-touch no-slip base
- Easy, one-click optimized configuration presets for gaming, media streaming or standard networking, plus two user-defined configurations
- Port-based and 802.1p/DSCP-based QoS (Quality of Service) for 4 levels of network traffic prioritization
- Auto "denial-of-service" (DoS) prevention
- IGMP snooping support for multicast optimization
- Loop detection and broadcast storm controls
- Rate limiting and priority queuing for better bandwidth allocation
- Port trunking/link aggregation (LAG) enables increased throughput beyond 1Gbps [up to 4Gbps] or to provide redundancy across the link(s)
The switch comes with a 3-year warranty and will be available in Match at the suggest retail price of $99, which converts to roughly AU$140 and £80.