We've waited a long time for a more affordable Nest thermostat, and it's finally here. The new $169 Nest Thermostat E costs 80 bucks less than Nest's online store. The Thermostat E is only available in the US right now, but the price converts to roughly £130 or AU$210 at the current exchange rate.premium Learning Thermostat, while retaining a lot of the same smart features. Nest's Thermostat E is available starting today at
Here's an overview:
- Design: The Thermostat E has the same rounded shape, but a plastic (rather than a metallic) finish and a more minimal "frosted" display
- Scheduling: This thermostat has two options -- a preset program based on a "typical customer's" habits or a learning algorithm that adapts over time
- Proximity detection: The Thermostat E relies on a far-field sensor and other built-in tech to tell whether or not you're home
- Remote access: You can adjust your Thermostat E from the same Nest mobile and web apps, as well as with
- Installation: As with the Learning Thermostat, Nest says most customers won't need a
When Honeywell, Ecobee and other smart thermostat manufacturers began slashing prices on their second- and third-gen models,held steady at $249. Due to the Nest's appealing design, auto-home and away settings and easy-to-navigate app, it remained the thermostat favorite in spite of its high price.
That was, until Ecobee added two new thermostats to its roster: the $169and the $249 . The Ecobee3 Lite is a pared-down version of the startup's original thermostat (now sold for $199); The Ecobee4 is the smartest connected thermostat we've seen yet.
Not only does it have a variety of smart home integrations, it also has an Amazon Alexa speaker integrated into its hardware. That means you can talk to your Ecobee4 just like you would use a standalone Alexa device -- ask it to tell you a joke, to play NPR -- or to adjust the temperature.
Nest introduced a few iterations of the same Learning Thermostat since co-founders Matt Rogers and Tony Fadell first unveiled it in 2011 -- until the Thermostat E. This more affordable smart thermostat should make Nest more competitive, particularly alongside the $169 Ecobee3 Lite and. We expect a review unit shortly, so check back soon for our impressions.