Checks for those who receive Supplemental Security Income along with Social Security have already been sent out this month. Another Social Security payment will go out next week. We'll explain how the timing of Social Security payments works below.
In the next two months, keep an eye on your mailbox for a letter about yourfor 2023 -- it should arrive in December. It should be the largest increase in Social Security benefits since 1981. The letter will have details about your benefit rate for next year, but you can also on the Social Security Administration's website.
Read on to find out when you'll get your Social Security check this month and how your payment date is determined. Just started receiving Social Security payments? Here's. Also, here's the and .
How are Social Security payment dates determined?
The Social Security Administration sends out payments on three different Wednesdays of each month -- the second, third and fourth. On which Wednesday you receive your money depends on your birth date. Payments for SSI recipients generally arrive on the first of each month (see below). We'll break it down.
- If your birthday falls between the 1st and 10th of the month, your payment will be sent out on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 11th and 20th of the month, your payment will be sent out on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 21st and 31st of the month, your payment will be sent out on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
See the October schedule below.
What if I receive both Social Security and SSI?
If you received Social Security benefits before May 1997, or if you receive both Social Security and SSI, the payment schedule is different. Instead of getting your payments on a Wednesday, you'll receive your Social Security payment on the third day of each month and your SSI on the first day of each month.
However, those payment dates change if the 1st or 3rd of the month falls on a weekend. For instance, Oct. 1 fell on a Saturday this year, so SSI recipients received their October Social Security payments a day early, on Sept. 30, and will receive their SSI payment on Monday, Oct. 3.
When will I get my October Social Security check?
Here's the October schedule (PDF) for when you could get your Social Security check and/or SSI money.
- Sept. 30: Payment for those who receive SSI. Payments went out early because Oct. 1 is Saturday this year.
- Oct. 3: Social Security payment for those who receive both SSI and Social Security, or have received Social Security since before May 1997.
- Oct. 12: Social Security payment for those with birthdays falling between the first and 10th of any given month.
- Oct. 19: Social Security payment for those with birthdays falling between the 11th and 20th of any given month.
- Oct. 26: Social Security payment for those with birthdays falling between the 21st and 31st of any given month.
Note that Sept. 28 was the final payment date for September.
What if I don't receive my check on the expected date?
If your check doesn't arrive on the date listed above based on your birth date or other circumstances, the Social Security Administration says to wait three additional mailing days before calling. If you still haven't received it, you can then call 800-772-1213 to speak with a representative.
The SSA notes that wait times to speak with a representative are shorter Wednesday through Friday and later in the day (between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time).
While you wait, you can also access your ssa.gov/myaccount.by visiting
We update this story each month as the payment dates change.