As the nation waits for Congress to approve the $7.6 billion coronavirus relief package that will bring millions of residents a new $600 stimulus check. The residents will get that money on top of the third stimulus check, , and the .that includes a for up to , some states have taken matters into their own hands. California is among one of those states -- last week, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a
California's Immediate Action Agreement was approved by state lawmakers on Feb. 22 as a version of the Golden State Stimulus plan Newsom introduced in January. It includes the $600 stimulus payments, funding for child-care services, small businesses and emergency financial aid for community college students.
You're likely wondering if you're eligible for the $600 payment if you're a California resident, as well as when the money will be sent out and how the payments will arrive. Here's everything we know right now. This story was recently updated.
I live in California. How can I find out if I'm eligible for a new $600 stimulus payment?
The law will send out a total of 5.7 million payments to low-income Californians, according to the release. The following California residents will be eligible for a $600 payment:
- Those who qualify for the state Earned Income Tax Credit on their 2020 tax returns. Typically, this includes those with annual incomes below $30,000, and some undocumented and 3.9 million people applied for the credit. . Last year,
- Those with Individual Tax Identification Numbers, or ITINs, as opposed to Social Security numbers, who were excluded from receiving a first federal stimulus check of up to $1,200, or a second federal stimulus check of up to $600. The agreement provides the $600 payments to households with ITINs and income below $75,000.
- Households enrolled in the CalWorks public assistance program.
- Recipients of .
- Recipients of Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants, or CAPI.
Another detail: ITIN taxpayers who also qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit would receive a total of $1,200. The payments will be provided to these households shortly after they. (Here's .)
When will my $600 stimulus payment arrive? And will it be a check, direct deposit or something else?
According to the State of California Franchise Tax Board, payments will be issued after eligible 2020 tax returns are processed. Those who are qualified and set up when they file their return can expect a payment within 45 days, and those who do not have direct deposit will receive a within 60 days.
Here is a more specific timeline for when you might receive your payment, according to data from the California Department of Finance collected by CalWorks:
- Low-income workers eligible for the state Earned Income Tax Credit: Four to five weeks after filing 2020 tax return, if you have direct deposit. Six to seven weeks after filing, if you need the check mailed.
- Undocumented workers with ITINs: Four to five weeks after filing 2020 tax return, if you have direct deposit. Six to seven weeks after filing, if you need the check mailed.
- CalWorks recipients: By mid-April.
- Recipients of SSI/SSP and CAPI: Unclear; timing depends on coordination with the Social Security Administration, according to the state.
The money should arrive to those eligible automatically after filing your tax return. The payment expires on Nov. 15, according to the Tax Board -- to make sure you get yours, file your 2020 tax return by the(the regular ).
Will this extra $600 payment impact my third federal stimulus check?
California's $600 payments are separate from President Joe Biden's proposedof . Assuming the federal check is passed, most of the California recipients of the $600 payment would also likely be , if the current to those under certain income limits and their holds.
Here's everything we know about theso far, and .