A lot of people purchase AppleCare because they're concerned they might accidentally do something bad to their iPhone, like drop it and crack the screen.
Zagg, which has sold lots of screen protectors for iPhones and other smartphones, announced atan alternate screen insurance policy with a new online beta program for iPhone 6, 6S and 7 and their Plus versions too.
Here's the skinny. With the InvisibleShield Screen Guarantee Plan you pay $80 and receive a bundle that includes a screen repair guarantee, InvisibleShield Sapphire Defense (a top-notch hybrid glass screen protector infused with sapphire) and an iFrogz Vue Clear case.
You then register your iPhone with Zagg and if its screen should end up cracking while you're using the Sapphire Defense, you'll receive $100 toward a screen repair (Apple charges $130 to fix an iPhone 7 ($689.00 at Amazon.com) screen and $140 to fix an iPhone 7 Plus ($750.00 at Amazon.com) screen). Your screen is covered for two years.
Is it a good deal? I'm not sure. On its own the InvisibleShield Sapphire Defense costs $50 (the iFrogz case is $15), which is a lot to pay for a screen protector. Basically you're paying $30 extra for some added insurance. Meanwhile, AppleCare for your iPhone costs $129 for two years of coverage, with a service fee of $29 for screen damage.
It's also worth noting that Zagg says all its InvisibleShields come with a limited lifetime warranty ("If your InvisibleShield ever gets worn or damaged, Zagg will replace it for as long as you own your device.")
I personally cracked an InvisibleShield on a trip to Costa Rica last week -- my iPhone 6S ($740.00 at Amazon.com) fell face down in some gravel near a volcano. My iPhone's screen was fine, so the screen protector did its job. I have yet to try to get a new one from Zagg, but may just stop by its booth here at CES.
Here's a look at Zagg's InvisibleShield Screen Guarantee Plan. Let me know if you think it's a good deal -- or not.
- InvisibleShield Sapphire Defense screen protector, InvisibleShield's strongest screen protector made from hybrid glass infused with sapphire, one of the hardest gemstones in the world second only to diamonds
- $100 reimbursement screen repair plan for registered device
- iFrogz Clear Vue Case
- Price: $80
- Upon purchase, consumers must register their device
- To claim repair reimbursement, consumers must submit a repair receipt and photo of damaged phone with Sapphire Defense installed to claim reimbursement. Damaged device must be associated with a valid registration
- Two-year warranty period
- One incident covered by InvisibleShield Screen Guarantee Plan
- No deductible
reading•Zagg wants you to ditch AppleCare on your iPhone for its InvisibleShield plan
Jan 8•Use your Apple Watch to control select Whirlpool appliances
May 31•LG ProBeam is a $1500, crazy-bright portable laser projector
May 18•ZenFone AR scores a first
May 11•TCL C-Series steps up Roku TV's style and size, starts at $700