Staff Pick: iDefrag
OS X has built-in protection against file fragmentation, but while for the most part this can keep individual files contiguous, there are times when the drive itself may have files scattered all over it which can result in slower system performance.
There are a variety of tools that can defragement both files and the hard drive, but iDefrag has been known to work well and efficiently in OS X. The software can tackle fragmentation using a variety of approaches to help optimize and maintain the speed of your hard drive.
iDefrag has just been updated to version 1.6.9, and can be downloaded from the developer's website: http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php
In addition to iDefrag, Coriolis Systems has released an update for their "iPartition" partitioning utility as well.
Other Recent Utility Updates:
- Spanning Tools 0.5 - Analyzes, reports, fixes problems with iCal, Address Book, Apple Sync Services.
- Little Snitch 2.1.4 - Informs you when an app tries to establish an outgoing Internet connection.
- Zipeg 2.7.1 - ZIP, RAR archive browser & extractor.
- iPartition 3.1.2 - Disk partitioning without initializing or reformatting.
- DarkAdapted 2.3.5fc4 - Astronomy tool adjusts gamma to preserve dark adaptation.
- MacCleanse 1.4.3 - Scan and delete unnecessary files on your Mac.
- TextBatchConv 1.1.5 - Batch re-encode text files. Find/Replace words. Change EndOfLine (Macintosh, Windows or Unix).
- A Better Finder Rename X 8.21 - File, photo, MP3 batch renamer.
- MacDust 3.12 - Recover disk space & maintain your system.
- Cocktail 4.3.1 - (Tiger Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.