As the earnings season heads toward sunset, industry titan Hewlett-Packard and a few other notable industry players will be rolling out their quarterly results.
HP is expected to post a profit, while cable giant and high-speed access provider Comcast Holdings is thought to be facing a loss.
Events scheduled this week:
Sunday, Feb. 23
- What a Cad. Researchers in the area of CAD (computer-aided design) tools and mixed-signal circuit design will discuss the industry's latest developments at the 2003 Southwest Symposium on Mixed-Signal Design, Feb. 23-25, Las Vegas.
Monday, Feb. 24
- Sea of choices. IT professionals will examine the ins and outs of building a successful wireless strategy at the Wireless Access, Mobile Business Solutions Conference, Feb. 24-26, Los Angeles.
- In an instant. IM experts and industry players will converge to share ideas, strategies and instant-messaging war stories at the Instant Messaging Planet Spring 2003 Conference and Expo, Feb. 24-25, Boston.
Wednesday, Feb. 26
- Best steps. Topics on tap at the Jupiter Content Management Conference and Expo include strategies for evaluating content management technologies and for deploying software. Feb. 26-27, New York.
Saturday, March 1
- Picture this. Digital imaging, video and display companies converge at DigitalFocus 2003, March 1, Las Vegas.
Monday, Feb. 24
- Crossroads Systems makes storage routers for storage area networks. It's expected to report a first-quarter loss of 9 cents a share.
- Macrovision develops video and audio programs, as well as technology to prevent the unauthorized duplication of computer software. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 18 cents a share.
- Autodesk is a maker of computer-aided design programs. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 5 cents a share.
- Hewlett-Packard makes computers and printers and offers information technology services. The company is expected to report a first-quarter profit of 27 cents a share.
- Terra Networks is a Web portal company. It's expected to report a fourth-quarter loss of 2 cents a share.
- Computer Horizons provides IT services to the telecommunications and finance industries. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter loss of 3 cents a share.
- Comcast is a cable company and high-bandwidth provider. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter loss of 11 cents a share.
Tuesday, Feb. 25
- Consumer Confidence tracks the results of a broad survey on consumer-spending expectations. The February index is expected to fall to 77, from 79 in January.
- Home Sales tracks housing activity. January sales of existing homes are expected to decline to 5.78 million, from 5.86 million in December. New home sales are expected to drop slightly to 1.05 million, from January's 1.08 million.
- Gross Domestic Product is the broadest measure of overall U.S. economic activity. Fourth-quarter growth is expected to climb to 1.3 percent, up from 0.7 percent in the prior period.