Networking companies are lining up to report earnings in the coming week, with Juniper Networks and Sorrento Networks taking center stage. And for those interested in the financial health of Internet companies, there'll be earnings news from portal powerhouse Yahoo.
Also, open-source database company MySQL will be holding its first users conference with Jonathan Schwartz, Sun Microsystems' software guru, among the speakers.
Events scheduled this week:
Monday, April 7
- A survey of security threats and countermeasures in distributed object, component and service architectures will be among the topics covered at the Seventh Annual Workshop on Distributed Objects and Components Security, April 7-10, Baltimore.
Industry players and analysts will converge on this telecom event to look at trends and the competitive landscape at the The European Telecoms Forum 2003, April 7-8, Rome.
Tuesday, April 8
Investors will get a glimpse into the merits of placing bets on companies in the communications, infrastructure and security software sectors during the Investing in Software Conference, April 8, New York.
E-government and homeland security will be among the issues discussed during this technology tradeshow for government officials and other professionals at FOSE 2003, April 8-10, Washington, D.C.
- Supply-chain trends and issues to overcoming distribution challenges in emerging markets will be some of the topics covered at the Sematech Semiconductor Logistics Forum, April 8-10, San Francisco.
Thursday, April 10
- Database developers and corporate titans will hear the latest on the MySQL technology at the MySQL User Conference & Expo, April 10-12, San Jose, Calif.
Monday, April 7
- Standard Microsystems makes integrated circuits for PCs. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 5 cents a share.
- Yahoo delivers a range of Web search and directory services. The company is expected to report a first-quarter gain of 6 cents a share.
- Sonus Networks provides voice infrastructure products. The company is expected to report a first-quarter loss of 4 cents a share.
- Infosys Technologies provides IT consulting and computer services. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 40 cents a share.
- Juniper Networks provides next generation Internet backbone routers. The company is expected to report a first-quarter profit of 1 cent a share.
- Sorrento Networks makes intelligent optical networking products. The company is expected to report a fourth-quarter loss of 8 cents a share.
- Consumer Price Index is one of most significant measures of inflation, monitoring the decline or fall of the price of a fixed basket of consumer goods and services. March growth is expected to come in at 0.4 percent, down from 1.0 percent.
- Retail Sales measures total receipts from U.S. stores. March sales are expected to rise to 0.2 percent, from a decline of 1.6 percent the previous month. Excluding auto sales, growth is predicted to be 0.3 percent, compared with a drop of 1.0 percent.