In a nod to the tough economic environment, mega-retailer Wal-Mart is offering a selection of one-day in-store specials, a few of which caught our eye, including a sub-$300 laptop.
A Wal-Mart press release says the company will be offering a "$298 Compaq CQ-139WM 15.4" laptop with 2GB RAM and 160GB hard drive." The Compaq brand name (which HP usually saves for bottom of the barrel junk) is almost enough to scare us off, and we've asked HP for information on this specific model, including what CPU is has. But, if you've only got $300 to spend on a laptop, and don't want a 9-inch Netbook, it might be worth a look.
Other notable Nov. 8 tech deals include a $100 Wal-Mart Gift Card with a $399 Sony PlayStation 3 purchase and a $30 Wal-Mart Gift Card with $129 Sony PlayStation 2 purchase. A handful of older (but popular) PS3 games--Warhawk, Resistance and MotorStorm--are going to be $19.82.
My question to you is: Would you trust a $298 laptop, especially one with a Compaq logo?
Update: HP never got back to us with specs, but after the system went live on Walmart's Web site Saturday, the info is now available for all to see:
- Intel Celeron Processor 575
2.00 GHz, 667MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
- 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Expandable up to 3072MB with 2 accessible memory slots
- 15.4" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display
Viewing is enhanced with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared) with up to 765MB Total Available Graphics Memory
- 160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Store all of your digital media on this expansive drive
- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic with Service Pack 1 Makes your computing experience more efficient, more secure and more fun
- SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW drive With double-layer support