One of the best video players for Mac has to be VideoLAN's VLC Player, now updated to version 1.1.8. This update fixes a number of small bugs and adds more support for several features, including better language translation as well as updating security patches for known vulnerabilities.
Core Security Technologies recognized vulnerabilities in AMV and NSV files when handled by previous versions of VLC.
Two vulnerabilities have been found in VLC media player , when handling AMV and NSV file formats. These vulnerabilities can be exploited by a remote attacker to obtain arbitrary code execution with the privileges of the user running VLC.Updating to version 1.1.8 solves those issues.
Other fixes included in the 1.1.8 update are:
- Security update regarding video width concerning some demuxers
- Support for a new Dirac encoder based on libschroedinger
- Package of the new VP8/Webm encoder 'Bali'
- Notable updates in MP4, OGG, and APE demuxers
- Major updates in most language translations
- Fixes in skins2 supports of Winamp2 skins
- Upgrade on the look of VLC for Mac OS X
- Auto-detection for TXT subtitles is fixed
- Fixes on Windows integration, notably regarding volume keys
- Codecs updates
- Many miscellaneous fixes
If you find that some of your videos, especially AVI files, aren't playing properly in QuickTime Player, try downloading the free VLC Player. What is your video player of choice for the Mac? Let me know in the comments!
All the latest Apple news, featuring developments on the iPhone, iPad, Macbooks, OS X and much more.
Jun 27Get the most out of iOS 11's revamped Control Center
Jun 27Apple's Siri will get human help to be cool
Jun 27iOS 11's best features for iPhone and iPad
Jun 27iOS 11 has a new screenshot tool and it's awesome