Let's take stock of our holiday decor. Tree? Check. Tinsel? Check. Ornaments? Check. Gifts? Check. Venomous tiger snake? Yikes. That's exactly what a woman in Frankston, Australia, found hanging out in her Christmas tree. Barry Goldsmith of Snake Catcher Victoria came in to rescue the confused reptile.
Goldsmith wrote on Facebook on Sunday: "Cheryl from Frankston got an early Christmas surprise this morning when she found a new decoration had been added to her tree." Cheryl took a photo of the snake and sent it to Goldsmith, who had it wrapped up a bag within 20 minutes.
The bite of a "Tiger Snake with envenomation can occasionally be fatal (as early as 30 minutes due to allergic reaction)," according to the University of California, San Diego. There is an antivenom available, but your best bet is to not get bit in the first place.
"Tiger snakes are very good climbers," Goldsmith told The Guardian. He notes that tiger-snake calls are unusual, but the critters can be found in all sorts of places. In the spirit of the season, the snake catcher wishes everyone happy and safe holidays and asks them to be nice to snakes.