Key features of the Onkyo HT-S3400:
- 5.1-channel HTIB
- Four HDMI inputs
- Advanced HDMI features like and
- Onscreen graphical user interface (GUI)
- $380 list price; available in April
Key step-up features of the Onkyo HT-S5400:
- 7.1-channel HTIB
- Can directly connect iPod/iPhone via front-panel USB port
- Powered subwoofer
- $600 list price; available in April
The biggest upgrade here is the USB port with iPod/iPhone compatibility offered on the HT-S5400. We're fans of direct iPod connectivity--without the need for a pricey iPod dock--and we're happy to see the feature make its way into an Onkyo HTIB.
While the feature set looks solid from the spec sheet, Onkyo's biggest strength is usually its outstanding sound quality for the price, and we won't know about that until we get these systems in for testing.