Don't dismiss the PC, is the tenor of a lot of the responses to a Saturdaywhere I addressed the coverage of Apple and the iPhone 5 last week.
"For a working man like me, the PC is a serious piece of machine. It puts food on my table. As for the smartphone, the phone is important. No doubt about it. What makes it smart also turns it into a toy. But a toy is still just a toy," -- that's a pretty typical comment I got.
And another: "Actually, the technology in the computers is very amazing. It just doesn't get the same press coverage because everybody (especially CNET) is obsessed with anything having an Apple logo on it."
Below are summaries or direct quotes of selected readers' comments, with added commentary only if necessary.
Key features and/or tech that keeps the PC competitive as pointed out by readers:
- Games: A reader asked if an iPhone can play Skyrim, Battlefield 3 in high-detail, let alone at all?
- Microsoft Office: The iPhone can't run a full version of Microsoft Office, another reader said.
- Backup: "Some day, my phone may break, get lost or stolen. But my data will be safe at home on my PC with redundant backups. No cloud for me," said SigpistolDude.
- Desktop PC: "The traditional laptop probably is dying, since the primary advantage (over a desktop) has always been portability, and the new devices are better for that. But if I have work to do, I want the best, most powerful tools I can afford. That is a desktop PC, with no compromises for power or portability. Jobs analogy about trucks will hold up," said smallbzznzz.
- Microsoft Surface: "The story starts by comparing media coverage of the iPhone with ultrabooks and then moves to comparing ultrabooks to MacBooks. So, it would seem only fair to compare the Surface's power and features (when it comes out) to the iPhone. Doesn't seem fair or reasonable that way either," said mouseclick.
- Display resolution: For the record,
All the latest Apple news, featuring developments on the iPhone, iPad, Macbooks, OS X and much more.
Feb 18AirPods vs. BeatsX
Feb 18The iPhone 8 may feature a MacBook-like Touch Bar
Feb 18BeatsX are the workout headphones I never knew I needed
Feb 1710 ways to improve iPad battery life