LAS VEGAS--When it comes to network attached storage (NAS), Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system has been as good as it gets. Well, it's about to get even better.
At CES 2013 today, Synology announced and demonstrated the public beta of DSM 4.2.
This is a major upgrade fromthat brings improvements for both home and business users at no additional cost. Since DSM has a vast amount of features, the list of improvements is accordingly long. However, some of the major new or improved features include the following:
- The Quick Connect features now supports DS audio, DS photo+, and the new DS cloud apps for remote access without the need to configure the router. This makes setting up the server much easier for novices.
- A mobile app called DS cloud is now available for iOS users to sync files from their mobile device, the way Dropbox works.
- The server's Package Center is now revamped to organize applications better. Applications are add-in programs that users can install (or remove) from the server to add more functions and features to it.
- The Cloud Station is now upgraded to version 2 and allows for nearly unlimited synced accounts and folders. The size limit of syncable files is also increased to 10GB (up from 5GB). This limit is just for individual files; you can sync an unlimited amount of data.
- The DS video app, which plays back videos stored on the server, is now available for iOS, Android, and Windows phones, and offers support for MKV subtitles.
- The DS photo+ app can now be set to automatically sync photos from iOS devices.
- Video Station's new player allows streaming video to a browser without the need for browser plug-ins
- Audio Station now supports streaming to Bluetooth speakers
In addition, for business users, DSM 4.2 also includes Synology High Availability (SHA) features for all x86-based models (not just select few), allowing even smaller businesses to minimize the risk of downtime. DSM 4.2 now provides support for Amazon's Glacier service among its other cloud backup options.
Like the previous update, DSM 4.2 beta is available via download and manual upgrade. When the final version is available, which is in a month or so, users can choose to upgrade to it automatically from within the existing DSM's user interface.
Our editors bring you all the news from the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show.
Mar 19A powerful Wi-Fi router with a friendly price tag
Jan 7Sony announces new 4K TVs, and much more at CES 2014 (pictures)
Aug 13The D-link Gaming Router gives you what you need to pwn the noobs
Mar 22LG Hecto Laser Projector: Truly big-screen TV