This case has CSI written all over it.
Earlier this week the TelecomsKorea News Service and other news agenciesthat a man in South Korea (known as Seo) was presumably killed in a mobile phone explosion while working in a quarry. Then authorities said his injuries were to have been caused by an exploding handset battery, though it was reportedly on fire in the victim's shirt pocket.
Now police say they suspect that the co-worker who first reported the incident (known as Kwon) was actually the one behind the victim's death, according to Digital Chosunilbo and the Sydney Morning Herald.
Kwon had apparently run over Seo accidentally while backing up a hydraulic drill rig, police say, but then told authorities that the phone battery had exploded and killed his co-worker. At that time, a preliminary examination found major injuries to Seo's heart, lungs, ribs, and spine. It is now not known how the phone caught fire.
Meanwhile, LG has issued a press statement saying that the lithium-polymer battery used in most mobile phones has been tested as safe for consumer use. A representative also added that lithium-polymer batteries, unlike lithium-ion batteries, cannot suddenly explode.