Sony has released a new system software update for the PlayStation 4. The update is around 250 megabytes.
As previously detailed, it introduces "entirely new features" and user-interface enhancements. It creates "new ways to connect with friends and players around the world, expanding the social capabilities of the system even further."
Among the new features are the ability to share videos directly to Twitter, a dedicated PlayStation Plus section, tweaks to the interface for streaming on YouTube, improvements to the messages and favourites group, the ability save screenshots at PNGs, group creation, and more. An increase in online storage capacity from 1GB to 10GB for PS Plus Members will also be introduced.
The full list of new feature can be found below.
- Sharing video clips to Twitter: Now it's easy to share video clips to Twitter directly from your PS4. You'll see a new icon on the Upload Video Clip menu, nestled between Facebook and YouTube. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you'll have the ability to trim longer clips. Don't forget -- you can double tap the Share button to start recording a video, and press it again to stop.
- PlayStation Plus: We've made a dedicated section for PlayStation Plus, which you can access by clicking the big Plus icon on the top right corner of your PS4 home screen. Once there you can easily manage your membership, see the monthly free games to download, deals for PS Plus members, and all of the games you've redeemed through PS Plus on PS4.
- YouTube live: You'll see a new icon for YouTube on the Broadcast Gameplay Screen, accessible after hitting the Share button. Now you can live stream directly from your PS4 to YouTube. Livestreams will be viewable across YouTube.
- Improvements to Messages and Favorite Groups: We've improved Messages by making it easier to access groups of people you chat and play games with frequently. Once you're added to or create a group, you'll see the online status for friends, what games they are playing, and the option to message or chat in party all in one spot. When you add or create a new favorite group, they'll appear in your Friends app under Favorite Groups for quick access. For example, you can see we have favorite groups for Call of Duty, Rocket League and Destiny.
- Communities: PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties/games.
- Stickers: From the PS4 system's Messages app, you'll see a new option for Stickers. The 3.00 update will contain stickers themed around Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Knack, LittleBigPlanet 3, Resogun and more. Instead of typing out a message, just send a sticker -- like Drake looking at a watch, asking you to wait a minute."