Another year, another iPhone. Maybe it's getting to be a little ho-hum, but this is also the event that determines a lot of peoples' phone-buying plans for the next 12 months. And then there's the big device that's been languishing for a while, the Apple TV, and the biggest fish in a small pond, the Apple Watch.
Oh, and the fly-around video that Apple started with shows that the Steve Jobs Theater looks like a big Apple store, complete with tourists -- sorry, journalists -- taking video and pictures of it. And then a nice two-minute Steve Jobs tribute, and an update on Apple's "town squares" (aka stores), and the opening of one in Chicago on October 20.
Though Apple treats the operating-system updates as news, iOS 11, MacOS High Sierra and WatchOS 4 were unveiled at the company's World Wide Developer Conference in June, and we've been covering them extensively -- iOS, MacOS, WatchOS -- since then.
Here's what you missed.
The long-rumored new iPhone flagship is a real thing, the.
- Please call it the iPhone Ten
- Six-core A11 Bionic chip with support for Metal 2 API acceleration and a custom image-signal processor for photography. Plus it's tuned for AR.
- Edge-to-edge display, glass on front and back and the controversial notch
- Space Gray and Silver
- Super Retina Display, 5.8-inch OLED, 2,436x1,125 resolution. 2.7 million pixels. That's a pixel pitch of 458ppi. It supports HDR (both Dolby Vision and HDR10)
- It's all swiping -- swipe up for home, for example
- Apple Pay and apps. is the new Touch ID; made possible by a the A11 Bionic chip, with a new neural engine, and computer vision array. Face data stays on device. And it works with
- Now you can create animated poop emoji's for iMessage with the new Animoji and its face tracking.
But wait! There's more!
- with optical stabilization
- Dual cameras with OIS in both
- Additional features. Portrait Lighting, with preset choices you swipe through
- A new custom video encoder with improved performance and motion prediction
- 1080/240p for slow-mo
- New selfie camera with Portrait Mode and Portrait Lighting
- Qi wireless charging via the glass back; Apple will sell Belkin and Mophie charging pads in their stores
- Battery life claims of two hours more than iPhone 7
- Support for latest technologies, like Bluetooth 5, LTE Advanced
- Starts at $1,000 for 64GB, shipping November 3.
Also, AirPower -- Apple's charging mat (a fork of Qi) that will allow you to charge your AirPods and iPhone as well. Slated for 2018.
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
Theselook like more than just a typical "S" update. Here's what's new in the and :
- Glass back, new gold finish and steel and aluminum construction
- Louder speakers
- True Tone Retina displays with 3D Touch
- Same A11 Bionic chip as iPhone X
- The 8 Plus has the same camera system as the iPhone X; the iPhone 8 is a single-camera version.
- iOS ships September 22, available September 29. Prices start at $700 and $800.
Apple TV 4K
Here one of the biggest updates is baked into the name! The highlights of:
- 4K support, natch
- HDR support: It supports both of the current industry standards, supporting (which is easier to implement and more popular at the moment).
- A10X Fusion chip (same as iPad Pro)
- In addition to iTunes, working with Netflix, Amazon for 4K content
- Free upgrade of movies you own in HD to 4K
- Live sports and news
- New app for TV, iPhone and iPad
- A new That Game Company game
- Will cost $179, shipping on September 22.
Apple Watch Series 3
It's the top watch in the world and people love it. Cut to video proving it. But from a "" perspective, here are the highlights of the new :
- The big deal here is LTE support, so you can use it as your phone (sharing a number with your phone) and stream Apple music without your iPhone
- Updated dual-core processor for better performance
- W2 wireless chip for faster Wi-Fi
- Barometric sensor
- An integrated SIM
- Display is the antenna
- Will cost $399 with cell, $329 without, new starting price of $249
- An Apple heart study using Apple Watch data in conjunction with Stanford Medicine
- WatchOS 4 available September 19
Looking for more? Here's.
You can also check out all our coverage of Apple's announcements.
reading•iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K and all Apple just announced
Jun 19•Tech condemns Trump: Apple, Microsoft, Airbnb oppose separating families at the border
Jun 19•Couple uses Facebook to raise over $5M to reunite immigrant families
Jun 19•Trump reportedly told Tim Cook iPhones would be spared tariffs
Jun 19•iOS 12: What's new in the Photos app