Over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend, nearly every Amazon device -- Fire TV sticks, Fire tablets, Echo speakers and so forth -- was available at their lowest prices of the year. But the price of the brand-new-- which has only been available since Nov. 7 -- didn't budge: It remained at $130.
As of a few days ago, however, that changed: The Paperwhite has been selling at Amazon for $100 -- that's $30 off.See it at Amazon
- If you're shopping for someone who's looking for a dedicated ereader, that's a great deal. The new Paperwhite is the Goldilocks in Amazon's line:
- It's 10 percent thinner and lighter than the previous version.
- It's got a "flush-front" design with a back made of a softer, grippy material instead of hard plastic.
- It's fully waterproof like the high-end
- It's got Bluetooth built-in, for integration with Amazon's Audible audiobook service.
It was an enthusiastic CNET Editors' Choice at $130. At $100, it's a steal. But it's been on sale since the weekend, and that price drop could end at any time.
More holiday gift picks
- Best gifts under $25
- Best gifts under $50
- Best gifts under $100
- Best gifts under $250
- Best gifts under $500
- Best deals since Black Friday
The best tech gifts of the year: CNET's top picks.
CNET's 2018 Holiday Gift Guide: Gift recommendations at all price points.