Tesla Model S Plaid arrives E3 2021 schedule Amazon Prime Day 2021 Best gifts for Dad Millions more stimulus checks sent

Music streaming is too expensive, say some listeners

Apparently a tenner a month is too much for some people.

Alicia Keys performs onstage during a concert organised by streaming service Tidal in New York.

Larry Busacca/Getty

The cost of a monthly music streaming service hits a bum note with some listeners.

In a survey by UK pollsters YouGov and subscription software company Zuora, 2,115 adults discussed their use of music and video streaming services. Of those surveyed who did not pay for a music streaming service, 48 percent believe they're too expensive.

Music services such as Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music all charge monthly fees of around £9.99, $9.99 or AU$11.99. For this you get access to vast libraries of music without adverts. Amazon Prime Music is slightly cheaper, but only offers a library of around a million songs -- although Amazon also just launched Music Unlimited, a more comprehensive service.

10 percent of the UK adult population -- about 5.2m music fans -- subscribe to paid music streaming services. Zoura reckons music streaming services should experiment with pricing models to reach the other 90 percent.

A third of those subscribers surveyed said that now they have the library of their chosen streaming service at their fingertips they rarely listen to the radio. More than half said they would probably never buy another CD again.