In recent months we've seen a proliferation of external batteries that are mini power stations with AC power and USB-C PD fast-charging ports, so it's not surprising to see Mophie enter this market with its $200 Powerstation AC. (There's no word yet on international pricing, but that converts to £150 or AU$255.)
Mophie, which is owned by Zagg, says the 22,000mAh battery "provides additional battery life for most USB-C devices, including laptops, and delivers 15 hours of extra battery life for the Apple MacBook (the)." Meanwhile, the 100-watt AC output allows you to charge laptops, camera batteries and other devices that typically plug into a wall outlet.
The $200 price tag is a little pricey, but the Powerstation AC has a little bit better specs than say, MyCharge's 20,000mAh $180 Portable Power Outlet. MyCharge, however, is currently running a 40-percent-off sale (use code NewYear at checkout), bringing the total to $108.
Here are the Mophie Powerstation's key specs:
- 22,000mAh battery
- Dimensions: 0.48 by 4.49 by 1.1 inches (190 by 114 by 28mm)
- USB-C port features 30-watt USB-PD charging technology
- 100-watt AC output
- Priority+ Charging provides passthrough power to devices connected to the USB-A port first before the Powerstation AC battery starts to recharge
- Fabric wrap protects against scratches
- The Mophie Powerstation AC is available now at mophie.com for $200
reading•Meet Mophie's first external battery to feature AC power
Aug 17•Short Story Dispenser shows print is not dead
May 22•Ovie Smarterware lets Alexa manage your leftovers
Mar 20•Highly anticipated TCL 6 series Roku TV will ship May 1
Feb 8•The Lovebox is a better gift than flowers for Valentine's Day