Today, Logitech announced two new portable speaker systems: one made specifically for the iPod and another that works with any MP3 player or laptop with a standard headphone jack. We had a chance to take a look at--and have a listen to--the speakers when Logitech was in San Francisco last week. The mm50, which works with any iPod with a dock connector, boasts a compact, user-friendly design and strong sound quality, while the more universal mm28 can last up to 45 hours on a single set of batteries and features a cool folding design. Both units will be available this month. Here are some more details from Logitech's fact sheet:
Logitech mm50 ($149.99)
- The speakers simultaneously recharge the iPod battery, as well as the speaker battery, when powered by the included AC adapter. The speakers can also run off the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which lasts up to 10 hours per charge.
- By using Max-X high-excursion drivers, which include neodymium magnets, as well as 3-inch pressure drivers, Logitech enables people to hear fully balanced audio, maximum bass response, and minimal distortion.
- When used, the added 3D Stereo technology dramatically widens the stereo image, which enhances the audio experience these portable speakers deliver.
- The mm50 includes a wireless remote control, allowing people to adjust the volume, track forward, and track back, as well as play and pause the music without touching the speaker system or the iPod.
- The Logitech mm50 portable speakers for iPod are included in Apple's "Made for iPod" program.
- The mm50 portable speakers for iPod will work with any iPod with a dock connector on its base, which includes nearly all models sold in the past two years.
- The speakers also come with a protective travel case.
Logitech mm28 ($79.99)
- The mm28 portable speakers use stereo NXT flat-panel technology, which significantly enhances the bass performance, while still enabling Logitech to offer a truly portable form factor.
- The speakers can be powered by either the included AC adapter or by four AA batteries. When the speakers run off battery power, they can last up to 45 hours on a single set of batteries.
- The speakers can be used with any MP3 or CD player that has a standard 3.5mm audio jack.
- The mm28 portable speakers are only 1.25 inch thick.
- The speakers include an integrated speaker cover that rotates to become the speaker foot, so no carrying case is required. And the input cable fits into a recessed area on the back panel, providing a truly portable one-piece speaker system.