Welcome to the 2018 Apple September launch event, where the company delivered the long-awaited (well, since this time last year) details on its new iPhones, the flagship iPhone XS Max, its little buddy the iPhone XS and a mainstream replacement for the iPhone X, the iPhone XR. Plus, the Apple Watch Series 4 goes all-in on health with a built-in EKG and more.
Now that it's over, our takeaway is, and testing our patience waiting for .
In addition to its main mobile-device product announcements, Apple updated us on other product lines and how well it's doing, and more.that led into a Mission: Impossible-style intro. Here's the highlights:
- They star wolves and elephants
. Plus, Apple just signed deals for two movies:
- Apple is about to ship its 2 billionth iOS device.
- The iPhone XS uses recycled tin and bio-based plastics (and more), part of .
- to make it more useful.
- Price drops on the existing iPhones, with the iPhone 7 starting at $449.
- You'll be able to update to iOS 12 on Sept. 17 and on Sept. 24. ( ?)
iPhone XS and XS Max
This is the big news that fans have been eagerly awaiting, prompting a leak- and speculation-fest in the months leading up to the big announcement. Wait no more.
is bigger than the Note 9, and both it and the get a .
- Think the iPhone XS and XS Max prices are high?
. But .
- The new Core ML engine for game speed was highlighted in the mobile version of and .
- They incorporate , the new A12 Bionic.
such as Smart HDR and facial feature detection ("facial landmarking").
- They .
( ) with an eSIM and a physical nanoSIM.
- iPhone XS starts at $999, the iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099. Both are shipping on Sept. 21.
Because not everyone can afford the flagships, there's the more affordable iPhone XR. It has an LCD-based, 6.1-inch "Liquid Retina" display.
- It too incorporates the A12 Bionic chip, the same (
) wide-angle camera as the XS models, and the same AI-driven camera features.
- Six finishes, four capacities, starts at $749. Preorders start Oct. 19 and it ships Oct. 26.
- . Which also means .
New iPhone prices
||iPhone XR||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
Apple Watch Series 4
Thanks to its new zero-bezel design and having replaced the button with haptic touch regions, the new series of the Apple Watch increases its face size to 40mm and 44mm.
- When you'll be able to get for your current model.
- It now has an FDA-cleared built-in electrocardiogram ( ), with emergency calls and more.
- Preorders start on Friday, Sept. 14, it ships Sept. 21, and prices start at $400 for the new models.
Look back at our.
How much are you?