LAS VEGAS--Iomega here at CES today announced the new Iomega StorCenter ix2 Network Storage, which offers up to 6TB of storage space.
This is the upgrade to the previous version of.
Iomega says the new server comes with many advanced business capabilities, including video surveillance capability and support for online storage services, including Mozy, Amazon S3, and EMC Atmos-enabled cloud backup services offered by service providers. On top of that the server itself can also work as a "personal cloud."
The new StorCenter ix2 comes with two drive bays that can be accessed easily from the front. It will be shipped without storage, with both drive bays preinstalled or partially installed with one drive of 1TB, 2TB, or 3TB, leaving the user to add a second drive of the same capacity. When two drives are used, the server can be set up in RAID 1 configuration.
Other features of the server include:
- Iomega Link mobile app for iOS devices
- The support for VMware and XenServer for virtual desktop implementations
- Easy-to-set-up device-to-device data replication with two Iomega StorCenter units
- Native support for Time Machine
- iSCSI target provides block-level access
- Folder quotas, Windows Active Directory Service
Other than that, the server has just one USB 2.0 port on its back to host more storage and not much else.
The new Iomega StorCenter ix2 Network Storage NAS server is expected to be available in February, with prices starting at $200 for the diskless model.