Here's a sampling of recent green-tech news and a quick commentary:
- Tesla inks small deal with Daimler - FoxBusiness.com
A small deal that could lead to a big deal, says CEO Elon Musk without elaboration. Also, a $59,000 Tesla in the works.
- BrightSource Energy-Luz II dedicate solar energy development center - press release
Solar thermal company BrightSource Energy's park in Israel will test concentrating solar thermal power plants that use reflective mirrors and a "power tower."
- PG&E to add 100MW of solar thermal-biofuel hybrid power - Clean Edge
Biomass will power the Luz solar thermal plant to maximize the solar electricity output.
- Flying stinks, especially for the airlines - WSJ.com
Fuel costs are now half the cost of operating commercial flights, up from 10 percent or 20 percent a few years ago.
- Gasp! Car companies dominating clean-tech patents - Earth2Tech
A parsing of clean-tech patents shows that fuel cells for vehicles is a top area of investment.
- Global solar strings thin-film market together - Greentech Media
Not many companies are actually producing CIGS solar cells. Global Solar is one.
- Ethanol's forecast -Technology Review
Too much rain in the Midwest will mean a poor corn harvest--bad news for farmers, ranchers, and ethanol makers.
- Freedom Tower to tap green fuel cell power - BusinessGreen
Fuel cells in commercial buildings for cooling and heating.