A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Wind Energy Grows By Record 8,300 MW in 2008 - Press release
Echoing the in clean tech these days, wind energy now makes enough electricity for 2 million homes but lack of financing threatens growth.
- ZAP Unveils Alias Performance Electric Car at NADA - Press release
ZAP Electric Cars unveils a freeway-ready, three-wheel electric sports car priced at $35,000.
- Can Nuclear Power Compete?- Scientific American
This is the big question for the future of power generation with a number of factors at play including cost, alternatives (efficiency being the cheapest), and a serious problem with a lack of skilled people.
- Silicon Valley clean-tech expect to benefit from stimulus bill - San Jose Mercury News
There's more optimism in the Valley for solar, smart grid, and green building companies.
- Corn Stover For Ethanol Production: Potential and Pitfalls - World Resources Institute Press release
In case you were thinking making ethanol from corn husks solved all our biofuel problems, this study points out the dangers of soil erosion and decreased ability to hold carbon.
- Geography Is Dividing Democrats Over Energy - New York Times
Green state versus brown (i.e. coal-dependent) state biases play into politics of setting environmental policy. Click on the graphic to see your state's coal quotient.
- With Electric Cars Still in the Works, Makers Seek Extra Cash in Batteries - Earth2Tech
A glimpse of the competitive landscape in auto batteries. Politicians (and GM) are now pushing for domestic battery production while automakers warn that the volumes may not be able to when cars come out in two years.
- BrightView Secures $6 Million From Israel Cleantech Ventures and Hasso Plattner Ventures - Yahoo! Finance
SAP founder Hasso Plattner dabbles in solar investing, although what the technology is remains a mystery.