A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Light Cycle: Recycling PV Materials - Renewable Energy World
The European solar industry is taking steps to recycle the materials--some of it highly valuable metals--inside solar panels to avoid .
- Enbridge gears up for green gas era - The Toronto Star
Snapshot of efforts in Canada to put biogas from landfills, manure, and sewage into the natural gas pipeline to make electricity.
- Does carbon-eating cement deserve the hype? - Climate Progress
If you're good at chemistry and want to dig into Calera's claims of carbon-consuming cement. Bottom line is that question of net energy balance is still not totally clear.
- MIT to Republicans: Lay off the Scaremongering on Climate Costs - The Wall Street Journal
The debate of whether and how climate regulations will raise utility costs is going to be intense. Let's make it a fact-based discussion.
- Graphic Of The Day: Gasoline Savings For Plug-In Hybrids (PHEVs) - TreeHugger
Department of Energy plots fuel savings from driving an electric vehicle--useful data for determining what premium you're willing to pay for a plug-in or all-electric car.
- China Vies to Be Leader in Electric Vehicles - The New York Times
After reading this, it's hard to see how China won't be a major supplier of electric cars worldwide.
- New storage system design brings hydrogen cars closer to reality
Purdue researchers, funded by GM, find a way to store hydrogen in a powder, an advance they say could lead to 300-mile hydrogen cars.
- As Eco-Seals Proliferate, So Do Doubts - The Wall Street Journal
For environmentally minded consumers, labeling is a serious challenge and greenwashing is rampant. This piece provides some guidance.
- Minnesota tests nation's first wind-to-battery storage - Minnesota Daily
Xcel Energy is testing a one-megawatt, truck-size battery to store and smooth the flow of wind energy.