A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Obama Vows Support for Renewables -- and a Carbon Cap - The New York Times
Obama makes energy a major theme in last night's address to Congress, calling for a law to regulate greenhouse gas emissions.
- Climate bill needed to 'save our planet,' says Obama - Climate Wire
The political dimension (read: opposition) to getting a mandated carbon cap through Congress.
- Transcript: Obama's Speech To Congress - CBS News
- 'Green' energy needs a big leap - Los Angeles Times
Energy Secretary Steven Chu identifies technology breakthroughs needed in clean energy he hopes will come from $8 billion set aside for energy research.
- Cleantech faces bankruptcy without quick aid - Reuters
The seized-up financial markets are creating a dangerous environment for green-tech start-ups.
- What to Expect When You're Seeking Stimulus Funds - Earth2Tech
A good cheat sheet for digging through the green-tech portions of the economic-recovery act.
- A Zero-Emissions City in the Desert - Technology Review
A visit to Masdar City in Abu Dhabi, where a self-powering city is being developed. Is it an eco-playground for the rich or a test site for green technologies?
- First Solar's fourth-quarter net doubles as industry faces woes - MarketWatch
Solar cost leader First Solar claims that it has reduced its production cost to below the industry target of .
- Beacon Power deal to help stabilize Ohio grid - Mass High Tech
Flywheel maker Beacon Power lands another utility customer for its energy storage system.
- Former EPA Chief Whitman on Nuclear Power, Energy Jobs, and the New EPA - The Wall Street Journal
- Read the interview to get the pro-nuclear angle on climate change and job creation.
- Aquamarine to Build 1GW of Ocean Power - Greentech Media
It's a large deal, if it gets funded to generate electricity from waves and tides in Scotland.