A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Konarka opens world's largest roll-to-roll thin-film solar manufacturing facility with 1 gigawatt nameplate capacity - Press release
After many years of development, Konarka boosts production of plastic solar cells it wants to in everything from cell phone chargers to more solid clothing.
- Blowing offshore power into Oregon - Greentech Media
Seems like a wind company to watch. Principle Power makes, among other things, off-shore wind turbines using three-legged supports.
- Mascoma announces $49.5 million in DOE and state of Michigan funding for cellulosic fuel facility - Press release
Here's one way clean-tech start-ups will scale up: government incentives. Michigan lures Mascoma to build a plant to from wood chips.
- The failing business of conservation - NYTimes.com
NYT's newish Green Inc. blog features a report from World Conservation Congress in which experts tell environmentalists to better understand business and learn how to motivate people.
- Green TECHpulse, multicultural market research, multiclient study analysis - Press release
A survey of businesses and consumers shows strong interest in buying green.
- Test driving the all-electric mini-car - Greentech Media
Kanellos tries the Tango (already purchased by George Clooney), an all-electric car with room for one driver in front and a person behind that zooms from 0 to 60 in four seconds.
Research firm Clean Edge sees job growth in budding Northwest clean-tech cluster.
Portable power for soldiers via a liquid fuel cell.
A piece on the clear opportunity to apply biotech to energy.