- A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Financial aspect of Google's environmental goals grows--NYTimes.com
Although it's still cagey on its ultimate plans, Google's moves in energy are taking on more direct business impact. Expect home energy-monitoring software.
- California sinks its first wave-energy project--Greentech Media
A setback for wave power, but don't be surprised. Ocean power has got a .
- Solar complex's backers want project fast-tracked/Investors in plant linked to governor--AP
BrightSource Energy is a bit behind in getting approvals for massive solar power plants in California, underscoring the complexity of actually getting these things built.
- Will alternative energy run out Of gas? CBS News
That's the question du jour in the clean/green tech sector.
- Is the VC vault closing for cleantech?--Reuters
The late-comers to clean tech may get knocked out, say clean-tech VCs.
- Pickens: My energy plan is the "only plan"--60 Minutes/CBS News
Extensive profile of T. Boone Pickens and his energy plan to wean the U.S. from imported fuel.
- Underground carbon capture will not avert global disaster: IEA--Vancouver Sun
Carbon capture and storage--referred to as "clean coal" when done at coal plants--requires far more research and development to be a viable option, says International Energy Agency.
- Economic fallout: West Virginia coal-to-liquids plant shelved--WSJ.com
This is not a "clean" technology, but it points to the impact of lower fossil fuel prices and the credit crunch in energy.
- Fuel-cell power-up--Technology Review
An improvement in methanol fuel cells from MIT.
My colleague Elsa Wenzel gives this consumer liquid fuel-cell power charger a look, which this summer.