A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Keeping Household Electronics Out of the Landfill - The New York Times
Very good cheat sheet on what to do about electronics gathering dust around the house.
- Firepower of the Lowly Caulk Gun - The Wall Street Journal
Have you done a home energy audit yet? with insulation and air sealing is the first step to greening your home--and the country's buildings.
- Geothermal Power Heats Up in a Down Economy - Earth2Tech
The proverbial "untapped" resource, geothermal is less than 1 percent of electricity production.
- Google: Clean Energy Goes 'Straight to the Bottom Line' - The Wall Street Journal
"Green energy done right is more profitable than old energy," CEO Eric Schmidt said. "Is that a crisp enough answer for you?"
- eSolar signs license with Acme to construct 1 gigawatt of solar power plants in India - press release
Start-up eSolar lands big deal to license its solar thermal technology. Expect to see more of this sort of "strategic partnership" to get green tech on the ground.
- Duke Energy: Obama plan would bring higher rates - CharlotteObserver.com
Get ready for some serious jockeying, lobbying, and mud-slinging in carbon regulations debate. Duke CEO James Rogers, by the way, is an .
- The Real Price of Obama's Cap-and-Trade Plan - Technology Review
Some initial estimates of how a proposed carbon cap-and-trade regime would raise electricity prices.
- Businesses Riding First Wave of Green IT - Greentech Media
Deloitte claims to see movement on making data centers more energy efficient, with virtualization and power management as the first steps. Next up: smarter air conditioning.