And to no one's surprise, that's what Google did. The search giant built a massive booth to showcase its Google Assistant software, set up, and plastered the words "Hey Google" everywhere, from the Las Vegas Convention Center to the city's monorail.
CES, the world's largest technology conference, is more important to Google than ever as it pushes devices to consumers that compete against the likes of Amazon, Apple and Samsung. At the center of Google's strategy is the Assistant, an AI-powered digital helper that's akin to Amazon's Alexa and Apple's Siri. It's available in Android phones, Google Home smart speakers, other smart home devices, and as an app on iPhones.
Google not only made a bunch of announcements itself, but also partnered with other companies, including Samsung, Lenovo and McAfee to tout new Assistant integrations.
Here's everything Google announced at CES this year:
- The Assistant will be in appliances.
- Google Assistant Interpreter mode does live translations for two people speaking different languages.
- Google Assistant Connect is a platform that allows third-party device makers to more easily integrate the Assistant into their products.
- made by Lenovo.
- A water-resistant
- Assistant gets built into
- Dish's Hopper family of DVRs will have the Assistant built into its remotes, so you can search for content and control other smart home devices. That builds on .
- Other Android TV devices with Assistant built in include: Sony, Hisense, Philips, TCL, Skyworth, Xiaomi, Haier, Changhong, JVC and Toshiba.
- Some other smart home devices that will work with the Assistant: Instant Pot, routers on the McAfee Secure Home Platform, and the Rheem Water Heater & Thermostat.
- Assistant is being built into car accessories, including the
CES 2019: See all of CNET's coverage of the year's biggest tech show.
CES schedule: It's six days of jam-packed events. Here's what to expect.
reading•Google at CES 2019: Everything just announced
Jan 15•Samsung Notebook Odyssey, with RTX 2080 GPU, revealed at CES 2019
Jan 14•NordicTrack's VR fitness bike wore me out at CES
Jan 14•Hampton expands its Array line of smart home products
Jan 14•Ahead of Avengers: Endgame, we visited the S.T.A.T.I.O.N. exhibit in Vegas