Happy Black Friday, fellow cheapskates! At this most holy time of year (for our "religion," anyway), I'm on the prowl all weekend for the best sales and deals and giveaways. Today, I bring you five.
1. First up, as CNET's Steven Musil all AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon phones for just one penny (with a two-year contract, of course). The only criteria: it must be a new line of service., Amazon is offering
Although the iPhone isn't among the 98(!) available models, you can score awesome phones like the Motorola Droid Razr, Samsung Galaxy S II Epic, and HTC Titan Windows Phone. Shipping is free, though activation charges may apply.
There's one more bonus: if your phone offers a mobile-hot-spot feature and you activate it at the time of purchase, you'll get a $100 Amazon gift card. (Presumably you could deactivate it after receiving the gift-card code, which will arrive via e-mail within 60 days.)
2. Next up, PopCap Games is offering the desktop version of Zuma (PC/Mac) absolutely free when you sign up for the PopCap newsletter. This is a crazy-fun game that's well worth the price of your e-mail address. PopCap's offer is good through November 29.
3. Ready for another freebie? If you own a laptop, you'll love this one. For only the next three hours or so, GadgetTrak is offering its GadgetTrak laptop-recovery software free of charge, including one year of coverage. That's normally $19.95 (and well worth it, IMHO).
Sorry the timing is so limited on this one; I've contacted GadgetTrak and asked them to consider extending the offer for the rest of the day. Here's hoping there's someone in the office who will make it happen.
Update: Someone was! GadgetTrak extended the offer through noon (ET) Saturday. Thanks, guys!
4. In the market for a new laptop? Toshiba has the Satellite A660-ST5N01 16-inch laptop for $299.99, plus $20 for shipping. That's after applying coupon code BFA660 at checkout, which knocks the price down from $599.99!
Key specs include a 2.13GHz dual-core processor, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and an HDMI output. The screen resolution is a bit low at 1,366 by 768 pixels, but this is still a killer deal on a 16-inch laptop. The coupon code does expire after a certain number of uses, so act fast!
5. The Roku LT streaming-media box is already a steal at $49.99, but it's missing some of the higher-end features (like a memory slot, Bluetooth, and support for 1080p video). This weekend only, you can pick up two Roku 2 XS players for $159.98 shipped. The catch: you have to "like" Roku on Facebook. (Hey, I get it, some of you hate Facebook. So skip the deal, yeah?)
That saves you $20 per box, and gives you one to use at home and another to give as a gift. FYI, the XS is the top-of-the-line Roku model; it even includes a Wii-like controller for playing games like Angry Birds (which is included).
Want more deals? Look no further than CNET's new Marketplace page, which is chock full of 'em. But before you head there, be sure to hit the comments and let me know what great deal(s) you scored today.
Bonus deal: In case you missed it,this weekend, and discounting all others to 99 cents.