A board purchased through Amazon (before it ceased hoverboard sales entirely in February 2016) caused the destruction of a $1 million home in Nashville, Tennessee. The six-member Fox family filed a lawsuit last week alleging negligence and seeking damages from Amazon and seller W2M Trading.
The hoverboard's lithium ion battery overheated on January 9 and started a fire that destroyed the home and injured three family members. The lawsuit alleges that the hoverboard was a counterfeit product from China, not one containing a Samsung battery. In Tennessee, the seller is liable if the manufacturer cannot be found. The family's lawyer has yet to find the manufacturer, even after months of investigation.
"The Foxes contend that Amazon and its various subsidiaries had information about the danger of this product well in advance of the January 9 fire, and on top of that, they had notice, they should have known the product was being misrepresented on their website," lawyer Steve Anderson said, according to The Tennessean.
The lawsuit seeks $30 million in damages.
An Amazon representative declined to respond, saying the company does not comment on litigation.
First published, October 31 at 8:42 p.m. PT.
Update, November 1 at 9:40 a.m. PT: Amazon's response added.