CNET's Cheapskate scours the Web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. And find more great buys on the CNET Deals page.
Being a cheapskate doesn't always lend itself to eating well. Indeed, a real cheapskate's diet may look a lot like the average college student's -- heavy on the ramen noodles.
Whoa, sorry, I totally buried the lede. Free food! That's what you could win in my latest giveaway. And this is a far cry from ramen, folks: We're talking about a whopping $800 in meals from Home Chef.
That's what the grand-prize winner will receive. Two runners-up each get $400 worth of meals.
You've probably heard of Home Chef. The service delivers ready-to-cook meals, complete with simple instructions for preparing them. The benefits here are twofold: You get everything you need to cook really good homemade dinners (minus a few staples, such as salt and pepper), and you get help with preparation -- great for those of us who are not kitchen-inclined.
Each Home Chef meal costs $9.95 per serving and can be ordered in two-, four- or six-meal servings. Each week brings a new menu of 11 choices, one of which is a breakfast. So, let's say you're a family of four and you want two meals per week. If my math holds, that's about $80 per week, meaning the grand-prize winner could enjoy that arrangement for two full months.
The company was kind enough to let me try out a couple meals. First, I loved the simplicity of the online ordering system and the companion app, which includes recipes and cooking tips. Second, each item we tried was a home-run. Seriously. I even have a fairly picky kid who tried and liked everything put in front of him. (Your mileage may vary.)
To enter for your chance to win this awesome giveaway, hit the comments and answer this question: If you had to choose your very last meal, what would it be? (And let's keep it to what you could reasonably eat in one sitting.) For me, that's easy: Pizza, my wife's special chicken, my sister-in-law's turkey stuffing, and my mom's "PTA cake." Next, vote in our poll, below.
Good luck, cheeps!
How to enter:
- Register as a CNET user (by clicking Join CNET in the top-right corner of the page). If you're already registered, there's no need to register again -- you just need to be logged in.
- Locate the comments section, then answer this question: "If you had to choose your very last meal, what would it be?" Then click Post Comment.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified. The winners will be chosen randomly.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via email. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Friday, November 4, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- Some legalese: *NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the US, 18 and older, and a registered user of CNET.com. Void where prohibited. Ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on 11/4/16. See rules for details.